The monthly North AlabamaWorks Industry Clusters offer a regular forum for discussions among industry professionals in Aerospace, Construction, Cybersecurity/Information Technology, Healthcare, Manufacturing, and Utilities. March’s cluster meetings were a mix of both virtual and in-person gatherings. Whether virtual or in-person, the monthly opportunity to share discourse and make progress on industry-related updates and training needs has become an integral part of our regional growth.
- Houston Blackwood presented information about the ACCS Innovation Center and the ability of customizable training which will work in conjunction with our community colleges to train future workforce quickly.
- The Alabama Workforce Stabilization Program (AWSP) and its resources offered to employers
- Candace Williams discussed the establishment of the Nonprofit Network to bring together resources from the 13 county North Alabama region for workforce development purposes. As a complement to the network, a new Job Seeker Services Referral Form has been established for job seekers in the region who may find solutions to life issues that prevent their involvement in job participation.
- Johnita Romine shared updates on the Worlds of Work Cullman event to be held April 6-7 at the Wallace State Community College. There was a discussion of regional plans for the fall WOW events and the launch of an online WOW Explorer website as an instructional tool. Industry cluster participants were able to see the ongoing strategy and planning for each grade level as a student progresses toward their career pathways.
- The need for industry input in the 2022 North AlabamaWorks Needs Assessment Survey to gain better insight into the education and training needs of North Alabama’s businesses and industries.
- In the Construction Cluster, held in-person at Calhoun’s Decatur Campus, and featured guest speakers Jason Phelps, Executive Director of the Alabama Construction Recruitment Institute, Hayes Vinson, Program Manager from the Alabama Construction Industry Craft Training Board, and Alyson Ogles, Program Evaluator from the Alabama Construction Industry Craft Training Board to share commercial construction grant opportunities with www.alcict.com.
- The Cybersecurity/Information Technology in-person gathering was held at Calhoun’s Huntsville Campus. Featured speakers were Dawn Morrison, Education Administrator at the Alabama Department of Education, and Courtney Monnette, Adult Education Specialist from the Alabama Community College System. Dawn shared the statewide computer science initiatives including career tech curriculum, the Governor’s App Challenge, and CyberStart America. Courtney discussed AWSP opportunities and the Mobilizing Alabama’s Pathway program.
- Dawn Morrison also mentioned the need for industry professionals to help with judging in both the Governor’s App Challenge and SkillsUSA Alabama events. Please email Dawn if you or your business would like to assist.
If you have questions about the resources discussed in our meetings please reach out to Ann McDermitt. Thank you to all who participated in the March Industry Clusters!
NOTE: Utilities Industry Cluster – March Meeting will be held in-person on March 31, 2022.